The waiting and suspense are over! College football season is in full swing as of August 25, 2018. It will run all the way through until December 8, 2018 when we all will begin the waiting and suspense for it to roll around again next year.
Cold weather comes chock full of fun, physical outdoor activities to keep your blood pumping - from football and basketball to skiing and sledding, there's no shortage of sports to warm you up and get you moving.
Cold weather can also leave us more prone to certain sports injuries that have the potential to sideline us all season long. But knowing some of the most common may help keep you safe.
• Spinal injuries - skiing, snowboarding, hockey, football, basketball, ice skating
• ACL injuries and knee injuries - football, skiing, snowboarding, hockey, ice skating
• Concussions - nearly all winter sports come with a risk of concussion
• Pulled muscles and ligament tears -- football, hockey, basketball
• Dislocated shoulders - football, hockey, sledding
• Bone fractures - most winter sports put players at risks for breaks or fractures
• Wrist and elbow injuries - snowboarding, ice skating, basketball
Stay safe this winter by:
• Warming up properly before any sport or physical activity
• Dressing in water, wind-resistant layers to keep muscles warm
• Staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water throughout the day
• Never playing or participating in a sport while you are injured, tired, or in pain
• Wearing all required safety and protective gear, and making sure that gear fits and functions correctly
• Knowing and understanding the signs of hypothermia or frostbite
• Seeking medical attention immediately following an injury
If you do suffer a winter sports injury, Ortho Sport & Spine Physician is here to provide you with prompt, effective, compassionate care - thanks to the expertise of our board certified, fellowship trained physicians. We offer interventional, minimally-invasive sport and spine treatments specifically designed to get you back to the sports you love quickly and safely.
We continue to be a leader in spine surgery, hip arthroscopy and joint preservation, and treatments for a wide range of sports and spinal injuries.
Call our office today to learn more.
5788 Roswell Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30328
Phone: (678) 752-7246