The holidays are over. Did some of your holiday celebrations and festivities find you carrying more weight than usual? As a result of those extra pounds, you may have listed losing weight to the top of your 2019 New Year’s resolutions. If you gained weight and plan to exercise more in 2019, Ortho Sport & Spine would like to remind you of a few important things to remember.
Take a deep breath. Can you smell it? It's spring! Flowers are blooming, birds are chirping and everyone is getting outside doing the activities they love most. Whether your favorite outdoor activity is tennis, soccer, or just a stroll around the neighborhood, you will not be able to experience these if your have the unfortunate event of getting Plantar Fasciitis.
Plantar Fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain and is caused by inflammation in the ligament that connects your heel bone to your toes and supports the arch of your foot. It can make it very painful and even difficult to stand or walk and can be debilitating for many individuals.
As you begin to venture outside more this spring with the warmer weather, there are things to keep in mind that can help you avoid getting Plantar Fasciitis.
- If your feet roll inward too much when you walk (excessive pronation) you can be more susceptible to it. Be sure to find shoes that help adjust this pronation.
- If you have high arches or flat feet you can be more susceptible to it. Be sure to purchase shoes or inserts that help your feet.
- If you are overweight you are more susceptible.
- If your shoes don't fit well or are worn out you are more susceptible.
- If you have tight Achilles tendons or calf muscles you are more susceptible.
If you are suffering from heel pain, or just want to consult with an orthopedic specialist about your spring activities, schedule your appointment today at Ortho Sport & Spine Physicians.
5788 Roswell Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30328
Phone: (678) 752-7246